Make your next pair of pj’s and shorts with Drawcord Elastic—1-1/4” wide elastic with a drawcord that’s knit in the middle. This elastic retains it’s shape because the drawcord can be tightened AFTER the elastic has been applied.
1. Mark the casing allowance on the pattern the exact width of the elastic. (Drawcord elastic is usually 1-1/4” wide, therefore the measurement above the casing should be 1-1/4” wide.)
2. Cut the elastic 2” SMALLER then the waist measurements
3. Sew elastic in a circle with 1/2” seam allowance
4. finger press seam open. Sew a rectangle through seam allowances and elastic to hold drawcords securely in place. this seam will become the center back of the elastic.
5. Sew garment to forum waistline.
6. For Exposed drawcord ( drawcord on the outside of the garment), sew the bottom of a buttonhole next to the center front seam 2” from the cut edge.
Pin elastic to the cut edge of the waistline matching pins. The seam in the elastic matches the center back of the garment. Serge or zig-zag the elastic to the garment around the cut edge.
Fold elastic to the inside, encasing elastic. Stitch 1/4” from the lower edge of the elastic, keeping elastic very taunt. find the buttonhole and pull the cording through. Cut drawcords and knot the end.