Friday, June 25, 2010

Ready for the Fourth


I have made so many of these outfits for the girls for the fourth of July Celebrations.  The original was made using a pinafore pattern. 
Now, with Zoe a little older, the ruffles were just a tad to young looking and her cousin Chloe now lives in a very hot climate which would make the pinafore outfit to warm.
So with some sewing talk with my friend Jerry, the outfits were changed to make them a little more 'big girl' looking and at the same time cool for hot weather.



Now, I hope to get the girls together sometime this summer and have them model their outfits together.


A closer picture of the flag: You will need to adjust it for the size of outfit you are making. It is hard to give a definite size to the flag, as it will depend on what you put it on. On the pinafore, I had no arm holes to consider, the flag takes up the bib.  So, for a sundress or a jon-jon that has a straight bib, just make the flag fill the whole bib area.



I cut  a 2-1/2"x4" piece from the navy. strips are two red 1 1/4"x5 1/2" and two strips 1 1/4"x 9". After I sewed the flag together I backed it with white broadcloth, sewed around three edges leaving the bottom open for turning. Because the bottom of the flag is attached to the skirt, I did not sew up the bottom. After I turned the flag and pressed it, I placed it on the bib of the dress. Quilted the stripes.
On the pinafore, I backed the flag with cotton batting, which makes the flag look nice but is heavy.

6 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! So how did you do the flag on the bib part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute! Thanks for the close-up on the flag too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I need to file that away for future use. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable. I hope they do get together so you can get a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute and perfect for watching the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This outfit is too cute! I'll have to keep it in mind & put this idea in my 'to make' stash for our 14 month old grandgirl to wear in 2011!!

    ReplyDelete