Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pure Elegance

Ole McLaughlin, is a member of the Apple Valley smockers and does the most amazing Brazilian embroidery. I hope she will let me show more of her work in the future.

Some Christening gowns have stories connected with them before they are created, with others the stories are created by the babies who wore the gown or the creator of the gown. This gown shares a little of both.

Ole, fashioned this elegant gown from silk brought back from China by her father a member of the Flying Tigers in WW2.  His soon to be bride used some of the silk to make a blouse for her wedding, the rest of the silk was stored away with orders for it to be used for Christening gowns when Ole’s boys became fathers.

Ole choose2010_1007applevalleyone0004 a pattern from AS&E issue #60, called Heaven Blessed.Ole said,” The only changes made, I didn’t put the bows on the front yoke and didn’t do the lower skirt embroidery. Instead I added the lace insertion. The fabric wasn’t long enough and I felt the silk was busy enough without adding embroidery.”

I hope I have been able to capture the beauty of this gown.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2010_1007applevalleyone0005  2010_1009applevalleyone0005

 

 2010_1007applevalleyone0006 2010_1007applevalleyone0007 Ole has 3 plus months in the creation of this gown. She has one more to make I am looking forward to what she comes up with, I know it be fantastic.

 

2010_1007applevalleyone0010  I hope you have enjoyed this gown. I know it is hard for a camera to capture the true beauty.

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, Nonie. Please thank Ole for us all. The gown is beautiful and I love the texture of the silk. A beautiful heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Gorgeous! I double-clicked on the pic's and the smocking is beautiful and I just LOVE the lace insertions used in the fancy band. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete