Friday, July 1, 2011

So clever

I am reposting this with permission.  I just thought this was so clever I had to share it.  Also, having the little ones grow and the fabric stash full of pieces that are now to small for a complete outfit, it really was a post that I needed to spark some creativity so I can use up those pieces in my stash.

I love the way Jerry’s mind works, from play clothes to heirloom sewing she just amazes me.  

In her own words I will let her lead you through this project. 

Red, "White" and Blue for MK**

I bought these floral coordinates at Continental two summers ago when they were clearing out their summer fabrics. I bought exactly one yard of each. :roll: Since I didn't really have a plan in mind when I bought the fabrics, and since I am now making size 8s for MK, I had to really be creative in using them!! (read....figure out how the heck I was going to get an outfit done using them. :rotflo: ). I had bought a cute new pattern at Continental a month or so ago, but darn if it didn't take 1 3/4 yds of one fabric and 7/8 yd of another....just for the top/dress. So I put on my thinking cap to see if I could approximate that design and used my Chery Williams basic bishop pattern in size 8 and cut the one yard of the "white" ground floral into a bishop front and back after tearing it in half. That gave me an 18" top, which will be shorter than most I do for her now. But since it is loosey-goosey, I think that will allow it to be cool and comfy to wear. I used the angel sleeve pattern to start the contrasting ruffle and cut the sleeve portions, then laid that down on both the front and back and drew a line the length of the sleeve all across both the front and back dress pattern pieces; then I cut pieces of the contrast corresponding to those pattern markings, giving me a ruffle to go all around the top. I seamed the pieces together, then ran some bias tape on the sleeve section tops only so that when I sewed the ruffle to the dress and flipped it over to the front (sewed right side of ruffle to wrong side of dress), I could press the bias tape down and have enough room to sew a 1/2" casing all around to run the elastic through. Did you get that? :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo: I simply serged around the bottom of the top and pressed that under and top stitched around with my 4.0 double needle. I used CC Sara's Skort for the little bottom. So it is a skirt with shorts attached at the waist. I found that little red pin dot fabric at Hancock's yesterday and didn't know at that point exactly what I was going to make to go with the top, so I only bought 3/4 yard. :P Last night I thought a little skirt would be cute, so I got that pattern out and used my remaining small floral to make the shorts. Instead of lining the skort, I chose to cut my scraps into bias strips to bind the bottom and trimmed it with delft blue rick-rack. Sure wish I had another pack of it. I would have loved to have added the same color rick-rack to the bottom of the ruffle edge. :roll: I then fussy cut three of the dominant shapes from the "white" background floral and fused them to the skirt off center toward the right side and then appliqu├ęd them the old fashioned way on my sewing machine. To me this looks like a "big girl" outfit....and that's a little sad. :(
Image
Image
Image

No comments:

Post a Comment