Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Girley smocked bib

I want to share this smocked bib with you. When I found out my best friend Roberta is to be a first time grandma, of a sweet baby girl, I just have to make her something special.  I can not take credit for designing it.
It was a post at Everythingsewing.

Just to darling not to share. I thank the poster named challenged.  




  • Instructions as posted by challenged follow.
  •  
  • I will be making this bib.





Re: Smocked Baby Bib Pattern

Postby Challenged » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:46 pm
I made up my own pattern for a bib.

I cut the fabric (45"wide and usually batiste) 5" deep. Measure in 5" from the folded edge and and draw a line diagonally to the selvage edge finishing 2" from top edge. (this makes it full in the front and graded on the sides so it doesn't look like a collar.)

Now, important note: Pleat FIRST with up to 11 half space rows. Flatten out THEN sew on lace, unpicking the last inch or sew of the holding threads on the bottom rows.

Smock any pattern you want that will fit in that space....I like geometric ones because they sew up fast though I have done a couple of picture ones too.

Assembling after smocking:
Cut bias strip 1 & 1/2"w x 8 & 1/2" long.
mark center of bias
block bib in semi circle so it measures 6 & 1/2" smocked edge to smocked edge keeping center two inches tight and fanning out the remainder.
Pin and stitch on bias matching center front of bib to center of bias
Trim, roll and whip stitch selvage edges
Cut ribbon for ties 2 @ 13" each
Hand sew to neckline 1/2 inch in
Fold down bias and hand whip

Just a note to let you know with my bishop dresses I usually smock and add the bias on the straight, not blocking the conventional way. However, with the bibs I smock on the straight but it seems to hold its shape better if you block it in a semi circle before adding the bias.

Hope these instructions aren't to convoluted to understand and you have fun making them! I am not at my computer with pictures on it so I will put up a picture via another post so you can see the end results.
Elaine
A couple more pictures:


3 comments:

  1. So pretty. It is similar to the one I just got a pattern for (of course, right before this was posted) but I got it done. It was my first time using my pleater! My only problem is that my air marker won't come out. I have no idea why. I am going back to my frixion markers. Once I get it out I will post a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic to make for bishops too to change the look. I've always used them that way, but a bib is a great idea. Can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely enchanting! It will no doubt become a treasured heirloom.

    I also wanted to say thank you for your kind comments and friendship. You are a treasure.

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete