Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Drawcord Elastic revisited
When I did this tutorial on drawcord elastic, it was when I was making Christmas pj's. So I can go over the instructions again to remind myself how to do the elastic. I have pants and shorts to make the kids and I love this method for casual pants.
Make your next pair of pj’s and shorts with Drawcord Elastic—1-1/4” wide elastic with a drawcord that’s knit in the middle. This elastic retains it’s shape because the drawcord can be tightened AFTER the elastic has been applied.
1. Mark the casing allowance on the pattern the exact width of the elastic. (Drawcord elastic is usually 1-1/4” wide, therefore the measurement above the casing should be 1-1/4” wide.)
2. Cut the elastic 2” SMALLER then the waist measurements
3. Sew elastic in a circle with 1/2” seam allowance
4. finger press seam open. Sew a rectangle through seam allowances and elastic to hold drawcords securely in place. this seam will become the center back of the elastic.
5. Sew garment to forum waistline.
6. For Exposed drawcord ( drawcord on the outside of the garment), sew the bottom of a buttonhole next to the center front seam 2” from the cut edge.
7. Quarter waistline and elastic. Mark with pins.
Pin elastic to the cut edge of the waistline matching pins. The seam in the elastic matches the center back of the garment. Serge or zig-zag the elastic to the garment around the cut edge.
Fold elastic to the inside, encasing elastic. Stitch 1/4” from the lower edge of the elastic, keeping elastic very taunt. find the buttonhole and pull the cording through. Cut drawcords and knot the end.